Eastern Mennonite University is committed to creating and maintaining a community where all individuals enjoy freedom from discrimination, including discrimination on the basis of sex, as mandated by Title IX and ensuring the protection and equal treatment of pregnant persons, individuals with pregnancy-related conditions, and new parents.
Non-Discrimination and Reasonable Accommodation
Students affected by pregnancy, childbirth, or related conditions are entitled to the following:
- Eastern Mennonite University and its faculty, staff, and other employees will not require a student to limit studies due to pregnancy or pregnancy-related conditions.
- The benefits and services provided to students affected by pregnancy shall be no less than those provided to students with temporary medical conditions.
- Students with pregnancy-related disabilities, like any other student with a disability, are entitled to reasonable accommodation so they will not be disadvantaged in their courses of study or research, and may seek assistance from the Office of Student Success and the advocacy of the Director of Retention.
- Reasonable accommodations may include, but are not limited to:
- accommodations requested by the pregnant student to protect the health and safety of the student and/or her pregnancy (e.g. allowing the student to maintain a safe distance from hazardous substances)
- modifications to the physical environment (e.g. accessible seating)
- extending deadlines and/or allowing the student to make up tests or assignments missed for pregnancy-related absences
- excusing medically-necessary absences
- granting leave
Reports of alleged discrimination on the basis of pregnancy or pregnancy-related conditions will be investigated by the university's Title IX coordinator. See Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct Policy (Title IX).